Sunday, December 18, 2005

It's time

Time for a new post.

So, I've been paying more attention to song lyrics lately.
I usually pay attention, but it seems to be more acute right now.
The writer/song writers group I'm in has inspired me to work my craft and stretch and grow.
So thank you writer/song writers for your contribution.

I found some Peter Gabriel lyrics that particularly turn me on (thanks to Ben Harper's supreme cover version)
The song is called "In Your Eyes". I'll let you go look them up instead of boring you all with posting more lyrics.
Ben Harper does a lot of covers. Some songs are so different that the original you'd hardly know they were even covers.
He really makes them his own and yet they continue to be just as great as the original. This is of course a testimony to his talent. Anyway, bravo to Ben.

There is a big part of me that wants to just give up on ordinary life and run desperately toward a career in music.
I will continue to fantasize about this while I enjoy my FIRST PAID CHRISTMAS BREAK!!!! YEAH!!!! (pumps arm like a kid asking a Truck driver to honk).

Back to music. You know, there's so much out there. So much good stuff. How can one get to hear it all?
I know, I know, you pick and choose. But I don't wanna!!! I want it ALL!!! I want to dive into music like I dive into Lake Superior, and let the cold refreshing water heal my soul!!! I want to play in it all day long like I did as a child at camp.
(and by camp, I mean cottage for you southerners)

Back to reality (hey, that's a song), I must work to survive. If only I made oodles of money and had 6 months vacation per year :)

Happy pre-Christmas week all!

16 Comments:

Blogger papasmurf said...

Let me ask the stereotypical question. If you were stuck on the proverbial desert island (that somehow had electricity) what (choose a random number like 10) albums/CD's/tapes would you like to have with you on the island?

9:51 AM  
Blogger Warren said...

I know what you mean. I love music too, and I particularly like the way songs sometimes come to you, like they were fated to be listened to by you, just at this minute. I think the best word for it is Kismet.

I had one of these "Kismet" incidents last night. I am of course in love with my new ipod nano which I won by accident, while surfing the web. These things NEVER happen to me, by the way.

Anyways, last night, when I was feeling depressed and shitty about life, and I couldn't sleep, I put the ipod on "shuffle" mode which plays songs randomly. It selected the songs I was thinking of in my mind, as one song ended, I thought to myself, I need to hear Johnny Cash sing now. Presto, Johnny cash came on to sing. It was like some cosmic DJ was playing my songs. Only it was just the randomness inherent in the scramble function of the ipod.

A harmonic convergence of sorts. I was one with the meaninglessness and randomness of the electronic bits in my ipod, which, when streamed through headphones, happen to be full of meaning. It wasn't as good as those drugs were when I was having surgery, but it was good. It was very good. The last song in the sequence was an instrumental version of Schubert's Ave Maria, which considering the incongruousness of the whole playlist, topped everything off wonderfully.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Black Mamba said...

well mr. truckdriver, aside from Dylan, Cash and Waits I haven't even heard of what's on your list!

warren, good word: "kismet"

papasmurf, to answer your question:

Rattle & Hum, U2
Joshua Tree, U2
Graceland, Paul Simon
The Miseducation of Lauren Hill, Lauren Hill
Legend, Bob Marley
Substance, New Order
Ray of Light, Madonna
Surfacing, Sarah Maclaughlin
Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik, Red Hot Chilli Peppers
(Self Titled) Rage Against The Machine
And some greatest hits of the following:
Depeche Mode
ABBA
Queen
Bob Dylan
Johnny Cash
UB40
Ella Fitsgerald
Frank Sinatra
Pixies
Ramones
Dave Matthews

Holy smokes! this is just the mainstream stuff!
I will have to blog about the rest...

4:21 PM  
Blogger papasmurf said...

Anyone know the history of the name UB40? Free coffee for the correct answer.

When I moved to Windsor for school many years ago the first concert I saw in Detroit was UB40 -the Labour of Love tour - and to this day that album is still one of my all time favourites.

Merry Christmas Black Mamba.

5:49 AM  
Blogger shroomAzoom said...

UB40 was/is the designation on the welfare form where they're from, right? Can I have a frothy coffee? :)

6:17 AM  
Blogger papasmurf said...

Shroom has the correct answer so wins a (frothy) coffee at the caffeine purveyor of his choice. Many congratualtions.

Mind you some cynical people might think I was trying to entice Black Mamba into having coffee with me...wink wink nudge nudge

Perish the thought. Papa Smurf is far too bashful for that sort of thing.

6:44 AM  
Blogger reppepper said...

Bashful: Full of bash?

11:34 AM  
Blogger reppepper said...

I notice that timlap forgot to include "To Hell With the Devil" on his list.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Warren said...

I just *have* to go see that Johnny Cash movie. Maybe tonight.

Warren

3:02 PM  
Blogger papasmurf said...

Black mamba are you still alive?

12:53 PM  
Blogger Black Mamba said...

yes, but I'm about to drown in the cream cheese...

8:21 PM  
Blogger papasmurf said...

what a sad way to go...

9:04 PM  
Blogger papasmurf said...

too bad we never had that coffee before you shuffled off this mortal coil. Sigh.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Black Mamba said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Black Mamba said...

Actually, I don't recall ever having an official invitation, only innuendo...

9:27 PM  
Blogger papasmurf said...

A wise man once told me that innuendo will never do you any good. I was just trying to be clever and subtle. Oh well.

Here it is then, the official invitation. Would you like to go for coffee sometime? Details to be determined henceforth of course.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home